Sicily is an island located just off the “toe” of Italy’s boot. It is the largest island in the Mediterranean Sea separated from the mainland by the narrow Strait of Messina. We will explore the Aeolian islands, visit one of the tallest active volcanoes in Europe, anchor in picturesque villages, and sail along stunning coastlines. In September, the temperature ranges from 68-82˚F (20-28˚C). So, you can experience warm days and cool nights – perfecto!
And the FOOD! The rich culture of Sicily and the variety of culinary influences present a cornucopia of flavors! From the locally made pasta, to the fresh sea food, rich cheeses and amazing desserts paired with a vibrant local wine – fantastico!
When: 25 September- 1 October 2022
Arrive at the boat at 9 AM on Sunday morning 25 September. Settle in to your ensuite cabin and be prepared to set sail! We will have everything ready and waiting for you when you arrive including a refreshing Mimosa! Returning to the marina Friday night for one last get-together on the dock then disembark 9 AM on Saturday morning, 1 October.
Sample Itinerary (Subject to change depending on conditions)
- Day 1 Sunday 25 Sept.- Portarosa to Lipiri – (26 NM) Today we will anchor under a castle between the old & the new villages. Pumice stones are mined on the island. Did you know these stones float? The LTD Sailing Crew will host the welcome dinner.
- Day 2 Monday 26 Sept- Lipiri to Filicudi (27 NM) We will secure a spot stern to on the public pier or anchor out. Stroll through the prehistorical village of Capo. Visit the “Saloon” bar where sailors mingle with the locals. Explore the sea caves.
- Day 3 – Tuesday 27 Sept. – Filicudi to Salina (18 NM) Look for the Capoifar Lighthouse. We will med moor at the public harbor by calling ahead to the Port Authority or anchor out. At the restaurant, order the Pane Cunzato, the local cuisine of bread with all the toppings. (Don’t call it pizza!)
- Day 4 – Wednesday 28 Sept. – Salina to Panarea – we’ll take a mooring ball and enjoy this quaint island that boasts no electricity except the electric cars. Don’t be deceived! This town is also know for Movida = nightlife. Water taxi’s are available all night for party goers. We’ll keep the light on!
- Day 5 – Thursday 29 Sept. – Panarea to Vulcano (possible lunch stop at “The Little Rocks” for a floatly animal parade. Check out the bubbles while you snorkle due to the gas emissions from the sea floor.SO much to do on this island! Your choice of the mud bath, thermal bath, or 40 min. hike to the top of the volcano! Amazing views and amazing sunsets!
- Day 6 – Friday 30 Sept. – (15 NM) Vulcano to Portarosa – A short sail back to the base for our last LTD Sailing party!
- Day 7 – Sat. 1 Oct. Off the boat by 9 AM. Pack up your bathing suits and pull on your cowboy boots! It’s been a wild ride!
Alumni– $2900 USD per person based on double occupancy, $5800 USD for single occupancy
Non Alumni– $3200 USD per person based on double occupancy. $6100 USD for single occupancy
Where: Portorosa, Sicily, Italy to sail the Aeolian Islands
The charter base is located in Portorosa, Italy on the island of Sicily. The airport is in the town of Catania (airport code CTA). Fly into London, then to Catania. If you have a long layover in London, consider contacting a local hotel for day use usually 8 AM to 5 PM. The rates are less than an overnight stay and a great way to relax and refresh.
Airport code: CTA (Catania Airport). Portorosa is located on the other side of the island and is about a two hour taxi ride. Public transportation is also available or consider sharing a ride with other guests. Click here for more information.
Included in the price: Catamaran, Skipper / Instructor, mooring fees, boat insurance, most breakfasts and lunches on board, two group dinners and one dinner on board, Register by 1 July 2022 and receive a limited edition LTD Sailing shirt!
Not included: Airfare, any lodging/travel needed prior to arrival/departure, alcohol, shore excursions, floaty animals, instructor / skipper gratuities, and other meals not provided.
This is a fun trip with a skipper / instructor but no formal instruction or tests. Bellismo! However, you are welcome to work on any skills you would like – helm time, anchoring, etc. In fact, you can earn your ASA 111 Sailing Review Certification during this trip, just let us know in advance We will sail approximately two to three hours a day then spend the rest of our time exploring and relaxing at our next destination. This isn’t a crewed charter but a build your own adventure cruise with like-minded people. Please keep in mind while sharing the boat with others that it is appreciated t if you help out where needed. Be respectful to the other guests but be aware that a spontaneous conga line could break out at any point in time! Noi siamo la festa!
Space is limited! We have three catamarans reserved with four en suite cabins. Once we are full, we will start a wait list. You’re not considered booked until you have paid the deposit. Don’t miss out!
We are really looking forward to this trip of a lifetime! Join us to go sailing in Italy!