Learning to Sail in the Caribbean Video Series
Get on deck with two couples as they learn to sail in Grenada's blue-water paradise.
This 8-episode series will be released between Sept. 13 and Nov. 2, 2019.
Get notified of new episodes by signing up here:
Episode 2 Man Overboard!
- Tacking (bringing bow through the wind)
- Jibing (bringing stern through the wind)
- Kalvin goes all-out rescuing "Alan" the man overboard
- Shayla finds "the groove"
- Tom takes the wheel
- Cole learns something surprising about herself
Episode 3 Welcome to the Catamaran
- Catamaran components
- Handling a bigger boat
- Anchoring technique and safety
- When to leave your boat at anchor
- Picking up mooring balls
- Dinghy checks
- Bonus: Line handling tricks – keeping in yachtie!
Episode 4 Hitting the Groove!
- ASA's basic coastal cruising course
- Charting a course with map and tools
- When to turn on the motor
- A magical sail to Carriacou
- Beating the sun to a locals' favorite hideaway
- Navigating through reefs as a team
- Bonus: Weathering a squall!
Episode 5 I just docked a catamaran!
- What it takes to park a 45' catamaran (Hint: Slow is Smooth!)
- Learning when you have too much power on a big boat with big sails
- Heeling and when to avoid it
- Executing flawless anchoring skills in the pristine waters of Petite St. Vincent
- Eating great cuisine on-boat and on-shore with a visit to Goaties
Episode 6 Taking it to the next level...
- Learning the technique that lets you throw out the GPS
- Uh-oh... learning how to react when running low on fresh water
- A rough docking practice lets the crew refill its water supply on Petite Marintique
- Practicing Man Overboard drills (MOBs) near picturesque Sandy Island
- Tom & Shayla talk about the excitement of planning new sailing adventures
- What BBQ lobster should look like
- Staging crab races on the beach - what?
Episode 7: Between a Yacht and a Hard Place
- Snorkeling at Sandy Island with puffer fish, lobsters, and more
- Performing engine checks – the 5 things to check when you start to lose power
- Getting in between a yacht and a hard place (and how to get out again with pride intact)
- Fishing for dinner from the catamaran
- Heading to diamond rock under breezy conditions
- Feeling in charge and ready to sail the world as students become the masters
- Becoming a mooring ball veteran at the final overnight anchorage